As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Friday, September 29, 2017

#156 (I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone – The Monkees (1967)


 
Like many other red-blooded American 13-year-olds, I refused to watch the 1966 TV series starring the “Prefab Four” (who didn’t even play their own instruments!), which we saw as a cynical corporate creation to make tons of money and drive our female counterparts crazy. (They were, of course, wildly successful on both counts.) I did, however, actually buy two of their 45s on the strength of their B-sides: this one (which backed “I’m A Believer”) and “Words”. Later in life, I did come to appreciate the quality of the material, arrangements, and production of much of their oeuvre.  It didn’t hurt that “Pleasant Valley Sunday” (by the always-excellent team of Gerry Goffin and Carole King, and the A-side of “Words”) could be interpreted as a somewhat sarcastic ode to the college where I spent four mostly wonderful years.
 
Two things really make the song great: the overall garage-band sound, and the drum solo. It was first recorded by Paul Revere & The Raiders, but I didn’t hear their version until a few years ago. I still like the Monkees’ rendition better.

No comments:

Post a Comment