As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, March 7, 2015

LP #20 Sade – Diamond Life (1985)


Great sound, great voice, great material – what’s not to like? The material wasn’t as consistently strong on their later albums, but this one’s a classic.
 
Interesting note about “Smooth Operator” – the playing time on the back of the CD is listed as 4:16, so when I went looking for it on YouTube, I checked for versions with about that length. Trying three of them, however, I discovered that all of them were missing the great spoken-word intro that is such an essential part of the album version. I finally figured out that the CD listing lied; the album version really runs almost 5 minutes, while 4:16 is the length of the single version that has the intro cut out. Keep this in mind if you ever decide to buy the track from iTunes or Amazon.
 
Favorite tracks:
Your Love Is King
Hang On To Your Love
I Will Be Your Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment