As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, April 29, 2017

#144 Magic Town – The Vogues (1966)



This was the second song in the Vogues’ “blue-collar trilogy” that followed their initial hit (the bouncy pop of “You’re The One”) and preceded the later years of their career when they specialized in covering such standards as “My Special Angel” and “Moments To Remember”. Perhaps it’s not surprising that “Magic Town” didn’t reach the chart heights of its immediate predecessor, the better-known (and more optimistic) “Five O’Clock World”. In the former, “there's a five o'clock me inside my clothes thinkin' that the world looks fine”, because “everytime my baby smiles at me I know that it's all worthwhile.” In the latter, the narrator has left his love behind in search of success but is increasingly despairing of finding it; he’s “down to my last dime”, and “nobody here gives a hang if I live or die”. The 50-year-old chorus still resonates today, bringing to mind hollowed-out post-industrial cities and small towns throughout the Rust Belt: 

Hey, where's the magic in this Magic Town?
Where's the good life they said could be found?
where's the magic to make all my big dreams come true?
I gotta find it girl before I send for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment