As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Friday, April 21, 2017

Average White Band – Rams Head on Stage, 4/20/2017


 
Table 103, Row A, Seat 2 (front row of tables, center stage)

Absolutely amazing 90-minute high-energy show by a band I’ve liked since my college days (not everyone shared my opinion) but had never seen live. “A Love Of Your Own”, 5 songs in, featured a wonderful sax solo by Cliff Lyons, and sounded like the kind of performance most bands would save for the end of their main set. All 7 musicians were great, including founding members Alan Gorrie and Onnie McIntyre, but I was especially impressed by lead vocalist Brent Carter, who’s one of the best soul singers I’ve heard in my many years of concert-going. Naturally, the evening ended with a rousing audience-participation version of “Pick Up The Pieces”. This may have been my first AWB show, but I doubt that it will be my last.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment