As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

#22 She's Gone -- Hall & Oates (1974)



Not surprisingly, Central Pennsylvania where I grew up was not among the first areas in the country to get a progressive rock radio station in the latter half of the 1960s. Around 1970, however, “Starview 92.7” made its debut, to my great joy. Its name came from its frequency on the dial and its location. I had never heard of Starview PA and had to look it up on a map – turns out it’s near York, and is (or at least was) basically a trailer park. At any rate, it had a signal strong enough to cover York, Harrisburg, and Lancaster, which was good enough for me.

After high school, I went to Lebanon Valley College in Annville, which is maybe 35-40 miles northeast of Starview as the crow (and the radio signals) fly. The only window in my dorm room faced north with a nice view of a mountain range that was accommodating enough to bounce the WRHY signal back to the T-antenna that I taped to the window. Things worked great except for the times when a freight train rumbled by on the tracks just across the parking lot outside my window; the tunes were so great, however, that we tolerated these disruptions to our reception. (Yes, kids, there was no Internet back then.)

Daryl Hall and John Oates released “She’s Gone” as a single in early 1974. It wasn’t a hit, but Starview played it. I fell in love with the song and bought the Abandoned Luncheonette LP, which frequently found its way onto my (Technics SL-5) turntable for many years thereafter.

Hall & Oates followed up Abandoned Luncheonette by collaborating with fellow Philadelphian Todd Rundgren on their next album, which although interesting was so commercially unsuccessful that Atlantic Records dropped the duo. Two years later, after they were signed by RCA and had a big hit with “Sara Smile”, Atlantic re-released “She’s Gone”. Be warned, however, that the 3:28 edited version that they sent to Top-40 radio stations to induce them to play it* is an atrocity – the intro and the bridge are shortened almost to nothing, and as an additional insult half of the first verse is mashed together with half of the second. You need to hear/get the original version, which is over 5 minutes long, to hear the song the way it was intended.

* - It did work. The song hit the Top 10 in 1976.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Starview. I remember it well. I still have this song on one of my running mixes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had I wanted to make the original post even longer, I would have also noted our efforts in getting an antenna splitter senior year and running wire from E6 to E8, since my junior-year roommate now had a window facing east and could no longer pick up the station. ;-)

    ReplyDelete