As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

#21 Ride Away -- Roy Orbison (1965)



Roy Orbison started out doing rockabilly, with one minor hit (“Ooby Dooby”) on the legendary Sun record label. He achieved his greatest success and fame in the first half of the 1960s, mostly with ballads (“Only The Lonely”, “Running Scared”, “Crying”, “In Dreams”), although his biggest hit was the atypically upbeat “Oh, Pretty Woman” (which Van Halen would desecrate quite a few years later) in 1964.

I didn’t really start listening seriously to rock music until late summer 1965, just in time for “Ride Away”, which is still my favorite Orbison track, as well as the first single I remember buying. It was the first single he released after his ill-fated switch from the Monument record label to MGM; he had 9 Top 10 hits on the former, while not even cracking the Top 20 with any of his MGM singles. It’s still one of the great road songs ever; its melody is deceptively simple, but I once spent hours trying to work out all of its chord changes on guitar, especially the song’s bridge. (Give it a try, but no fair looking it up on the Web.)

[UPDATED 3/11/2015 -- now a Geico commercial!]

No comments:

Post a Comment