As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pete Seeger


Rolling Stone ran a nice story on Pete Seeger’s death yesterday at the age of 94. WXPN’s David Dye also posted some nice reflections.

WXPN’s “Select-A-Song” set this morning is below. (Seeger didn’t write “This Land Is Your Land,” but frequently performed the Woody Guthrie classic.)

  • Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome - Pete Seeger's Greatest Hits
  • The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! - Turn! Turn! Turn!
  • Pete Seeger - If I Had A Hammer (the Hammer Song) - If I Had A Hammer: Songs Of Hope And Struggle
  • Sharon Jones And The Dap-Kings - This Land Is Your Land - Up In The Air (Music From The Motion Picture)
  • Tommy Sands, Dolores Kean & Vedran Smailovic - Where Have All The Flowers Gone - Where Have All The Flowers Gone: The Songs of Pete Seeger

When I first got seriously into music in 1965, the record that I put on my Christmas list was the Byrds album Turn! Turn! Turn! Mom & Dad got me a Herb Alpert LP instead (could have been worse), but my aunt and uncle came through.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment