As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Thursday, April 24, 2014

#68 Follow You Down -- Gin Blossoms (1996)



The Gin Blossoms were one of the greatest, and most tragic, rock bands of the 1990s. The greatness stems mainly from their hit 1992 album, New Miserable Experience, one of the greatest collections of jangle-pop tunes of this or any other decade. (It’s probably not a coincidence that their first post-NME single, “Til I Hear It From You”, was co-written with Marshall Crenshaw.)

The band’s co-founder and original guitarist, Doug Hopkins, wrote their first two hit singles (“Hey Jealousy” and “Found Out About You”), as well as two of NME’s best non-radio tracks, “Lost Horizons” and “Pieces of the Night”. Unfortunately, the drinking references in the latter two songs were based on personal experience; Hopkins had battled depression and alcoholism for many years, and his drinking problems worsened significantly while the band was recording NME, to the extent that the other members were forced to dismiss him from the band. In December of 1993, just as the band was hitting it big, Doug Hopkins shot himself to death.

“Follow You Down” was the first single from the band’s follow-up album, Congratulations I’m Sorry. (The title refers to how some people greeted the band, referring both to their success and to Hopkins’ death.) Musically, the song is irresistibly infectious, with a great uptempo melody and some tasty harmonica work. The lyrics are more bittersweet, and the chorus in particular has always brought Doug Hopkins to mind for me.

Anywhere you go
I’ll follow you down
Anyplace but those I know by heart
Anywhere you go, I’ll follow you down
I’ll follow you down, but not that far

No comments:

Post a Comment