As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, April 5, 2014

March 29, 2014 – Nationals vs. Tigers (exhibition) rained out – Nationals Park


Goofy optimism or cynical exploitation? 

Section 416, Row G, Seat 2 – four rows in back of our usual location (more below) 

I’m obviously not supposed to see the Nats play Detroit this year – the Nats-Tigers exhibition game I was supposed to see earlier in March in Lakeland, Florida was also canceled due to rain. Even the scheduled starting pitchers were the same – Anibal Sanchez for the Tigers and Tanner Roark for the Nats.

The weather forecast for Saturday’s preseason exhibition at Nationals Park had been pretty bleak for the preceding several days, and it had not improved by Saturday morning: rain, sometimes heavy, expected pretty much all day. Given the forecast, and the fact that it was only an exhibition game, I really expected the team to announce by 10 or 11 Saturday morning that the game was canceled, in order to save everyone from a wasted trip. No such announcement came, however, and according to the WTOP 12:15 sports segment, the Nats had indicated that they were still going to try to get the game in. So, grumbling to myself, I headed for the Shady Grove Metro station. I normally drive to weekend games, but the Navy Yard Metro station is much closer to Nats Park than is my normal parking location (thus minimizing my walk in the expected rain), and there was no aggravating “weekend track work” (suspended due to cherry blossom season) to mess up the commute.

Metro was much less busy than usual; very few people were waiting to transfer to the Green Line at Gallery Place, and I had no trouble getting a seat on either the Red Line or Green Line section of the trip. A light rain was falling as I arrived, the tarp was on the field, and it didn’t look like there were more than several thousand people on hand at most. I took a lap around the lower level of the park before heading to our seats around 1:45 for the scheduled 2:05 start. Since each of the 4 20-game ticket plans included the March 29th game, we were not in our usual locations (416/C/1-4), but instead had seats 2-5 in Row G. I had expected that since we were 4 rows further back that we would at least be able to stay dry, but the wind was blowing the rain in our direction, so after a couple of minutes I announced that I was going to find a dry spot and headed for the enclosed elevator lobby, where the Pierce clan found me 5 or 10 minutes later. Right around 2:00, someone else who was waiting there told everyone the Nats had just tweeted that the game had been canceled. The nearby video monitor posted the announcement a couple minutes later.

The non-cynical side of me would like to think that the Nats management genuinely thought there was a reasonable shot at getting the game in, as opposed to delaying the announcement of the cancellation just to get some of us fools to come down and buy concessions and souvenirs. Unfortunately, I don’t have any evidence whatsoever to support this theory. (The weather forecast, by the way, turned out to be completely correct.)

No comments:

Post a Comment