As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Monday, September 29, 2014

September 28, 2014 – Nationals 1, Marlins 0 – Nationals Park


A no-hit wonder (borrowed from this morning’s Washington Post)

Umpires: HP: Alan Porter. 1B: Gary Cederstrom. 2B: Mark Ripperger. 3B: Lance Barksdale.
Weather: 79 degrees, sunny.
Wind: 3 mph, Out to CF.
T: 2:01.
Att: 35,085. [Nats were actually outdrawn by the woeful Phillies, at 38,082, on their respective Fan Appreciation Days.]

It didn’t start out as a great day for me. Traffic on the GW Parkway slowed much more than usual, so I arrived late enough that I decided to skip the originally-planned walk down to Subway. (Went with the Miami Cuban Sandwich instead.) Then, once I got to the park, I realized that I had left my cellphone at home. So I was a little out of sorts, despite the wonderful weather.

My initial wish list for the final game of the season was (1) everybody staying healthy, (2) Jordan Zimmermann pitching well, (3) one more hit from Denard Span to break the Nats’ single-season record, and (4) winning the game. Ian Desmond did his part towards #4 by homering off Henderson Alvarez in the bottom of the second, for what would turn out to be the only run of the game. One inning later, Span took care of #3, as he lined a double to right field and got a standing ovation as he left the game for a pinch-runner. Matt Williams’ plan for the regulars soon became obvious; get them out of game after 2 trips to the plate and give the reserves some playing time. (The only exceptions were Ryan Zimmerman, still in need of at-bats against major league pitching following his return from the DL, and catcher Wilson Ramos, who went the whole way.)

I remember remarking to Terry that I expected that Zimmermann would only pitch 6 innings (the same as Strasburg the previous day), so that a couple of the relief pitchers could get some action prior to the four-day break until the first playoff game. I was actually so preoccupied with Williams’ lineup maneuvers that I didn’t realize J-Zim had a no-hitter going until after the sixth inning, when I was out on the concourse and heard Bob Carpenter on the radio broadcast saying that there were 11 hits in the game, “all by the Nats.”

Naturally the anticipation mounted from there. Zimmermann got a standing ovation after retiring the Marlins 1-2-3 in the top of the eighth, but since he was still under 100 pitches I think we all expected that he would come out for the ninth. As we predicted, Williams took Ryan Zimmerman out after his final at-bat in the bottom of the eighth, replacing him with Steven Souza Jr. in the ninth. The rest, as they say, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment