As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

#102 Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl) – Looking Glass (1972)


 
Tagged as one-hit wonders after this pop classic hit #1, New Jersey’s Looking Glass in fact put out the equally fine (although less-successful) single “Jimmy Loves Mary-Anne” the following summer. I was seriously tempted to put that one on my list rather than “Brandy”, but finally decided that being willfully obscure wasn’t always the best policy.
 
A long, long time ago, before the Internet, I remember my college roomie sending me a lengthy newspaper profile of the band, who felt that they were unfairly pigeonholed as a “pop” act based on their hit, which really didn’t represent their sound. I couldn’t locate that article, but did find a nice tribute site on the web that provides an interesting look at the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment