As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie


Rock icon David Bowie died yesterday, as you probably have heard by now, after an 18-month battle with cancer, and just a couple days after releasing his final album. Tributes have been pouring in from people across the musical spectrum, from Iggy Pop to Kanye West to Cher. WXPN has been wall-to-wall Bowie since 6:00 this morning, 8 hours and counting.
 
Although going back through my vinyl collection confirms that I bought the Let’s Dance LP at one point, I have to admit that I’ve never been a huge fan of Bowie’s work. I think that’s because I found his frequent changes in persona somewhat offputting – I could never figure out what if anything was at his core in terms of music. (I occasionally wondered, semi-seriously, whether “David Bowie” actually existed, or whether the name was actually handed down from one musician to another at various times over the years.)
 
Nevertheless, I’d have to rate these as my top 5 Bowie tracks:
Let’s Dance (also a great video, which I hadn't seen before)
The Man Who Sold The World (although I prefer Nirvana’s cover)
This Is Not America
Modern Love
Suffragette City

2 comments:

  1. Under Pressure
    Young Americans
    Suffragette City
    Ziggy Stardust
    Space Oddity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard Thompson did Space Oddity (after a fashion) in his all-request show at the Barns last night. Tuesday night he did Rebel Rebel. Haven't seen a set list for the Wednesday show.

      Delete