As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

#115 Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows – Lesley Gore (1965)


 
Not only did the Nats 2014 season end with a whimper rather than a bang in baseball terms, they were also not making good choices with their seventh-inning stretch songs, at least in my humble opinion. I’m sure “Friends In Low Places”, for instance, appeals to some, but it’s neither sufficiently uptempo nor easy enough to sing along with.
 
Naturally, I came up with a short list of tunes (7, if I remember correctly) that I considered more appropriate, and this was one of those that made it. In addition to meeting the criteria mentioned above and being a nice tribute to Gore, who died early the next year, it’s short enough (just 1:36) that you might be able to squeeze the whole thing in before play resumed.
 
Fortunately for us Nats fans there was a happy ending. I never heard them use this song, but they did go with the Tom Jones classic “It’s Not Unusual” (which was also on my list) during many of the games we attended last season, and I’m certainly not complaining about the times they played “Uptown Funk” instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment