As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Friday, September 29, 2017

#155 Don’t Hang Up Your Dancing Shoes – Iain Matthews (1978)


 
I remember picking up Ian’s Stealin’ Home album (he only used one “I” in his first name back then) for a buck in the cutout bin of an Ames store in Prince George’s Plaza a few years after it was released, largely on the strength of his hit single “Shake It”. It turned out to be one of my best musical bargains, featuring the title track and a few other Matthews originals, along with some well-chosen covers, such as Robert Palmer’s “Gimme An Inch”. “Dancing Shoes” and “Shake It” were both written by one Terence Boylan, a fact that intrigued me enough to almost buy Boylan’s album featuring his versions when I ran across it in a Fairfax warehouse. A couple years ago I finally did get a Boylan compilation CD, which had some other good material but was marred by severe overproduction, most likely due to the number of well-known session musicians that were featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment