As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, August 25, 2018

#188 Cry Like A Baby – The Box Tops (1968)


 
The Box Tops are best-known for their debut single “The Letter”, which hit #1 in 1967. (Although I like the concise 1:58 original, I prefer Joe Cocker’s raucous and much longer 1970 remake.) Although the band’s material was not always the greatest, “Cry Like A Baby” is a blue-eyed soul classic, co-written by Spooner Oldham (who also played keyboards on the recording) and the great Dan Penn, whose body of work also includes another one of my all-time favorites. Singer Alex Chilton, who went on to become an indie-rock cult favorite after the Box Tops disbanded and inspired a musical tribute by the Replacements, throws in a sly reference near the end to “You Left The Water Running”, another great (but little-known) tune co-written by Penn.

No comments:

Post a Comment