As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Scott Walker


 
I can’t say I know anything about Scott Walker’s days as an “experimental” musician, who was apparently a major influence on Radiohead and presumably others. I do remember him as the lead singer of the Walker Brothers, who were neither related nor born with the surname Walker. As Wikipedia notes, “they provided a unique counterpoint to the British Invasion by achieving much more success in the United Kingdom than in their home country, a period when the popularity of British bands such as The Beatles dominated the U.S. charts.” Nevertheless, the managed to release three singles (“Make It Easy On Yourself”, “My Ship Is Coming In”, and “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine (Anymore)”) that rivaled the best blue-eyed soul that the Righteous Brothers (or anyone else) could come up with.

1 comment:

  1. The Righteous Brothers, of course, had more great material to work with. I went back and listened again to a Walkers compilation I picked up quite a few years ago; there are a few other good songs, but most leave something to be desired other than the 3 U.S. "hits".

    I also second-guessed myself a bit for not going with "My Ship Is Coming In" as my top pick. It has a great blue-collar vibe, similar to "Magic Town" by the Vogues. (OTOH, Righteous Brother Bobby Hatfield would have done a better job of nailing the high notes near the end.)

    ReplyDelete