As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Shuffle #147 (May 12, 2021)

Just A Little – The Beau Brummels

Since You’ve Been Gone – Aretha Franklin

Love Never Felt So Good – Michael Jackson

The Knife Feels Like Justice – Brian Setzer

Georgy Girl – The Seekers

Uninhabited Man – Richard Thompson

Funky On My Back – Cold Blood

Take Me Back To Chicago – Chicago

Keep On Dancing – The Gentrys

There Is – The Dells

7 comments:

  1. WHAT BRITISH INVASION?
    Today I'm listening to the Top 40 for this week in 1964, and the total number of songs in numbers 20-40 include just one from a British group, the Beatles at #23. Here are the other artists, from #40 to #20. Some familiar names, but none that I know from the Mersey area or the Southeastern part of the U.K.:
    Bobby Goldsboro
    Rip Chords
    Betty Everett
    Andy Williams
    Soloman Burke
    New Christy Minstrels
    Elvis
    Brenda Holloway
    Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells
    Vic Dana
    Vibrations
    Kingsmen
    Rick Nelson
    Bachelors
    Barbra Streisand
    Nat King Cole
    Terry Stafford
    (Beatles)
    Al Hirt
    Robert Maxwell
    Serendipity Singers
    Top 5 this week:
    1. My Guy
    2. Love Me Do
    3. Hello, Dolly
    4. Chapel of Love
    5. Love Me With All Your Heart


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a great column on this a few months ago:
      https://radioinsight.com/ross/202078/did-the-beatles-kill-americas-radio-stars/

      Delete
    2. Yes, excellent article. I especially like his description of some pre-Beatles acts as "quaint." It's easy to hear the difference between pre- and post-Beatles pop (perfectly personified by Bobby Vee and his ilk), just as one can tell instantly that a late 70s song has a disco beat that did not exist prior to our exit from LVC.

      Delete
    3. Your "disco beat" reference reminds me that "Stayin' Alive" was the #1 song when I started to work at Westat, way back in February 1978 ...
      http://ramblingrhoads.blogspot.com/2014/01/retirement-party-playlist.html

      Delete
    4. And I'm also reminded that Bobby Vee ("Bouncy bouncy! Bouncy bouncy!") was a big vote-getter in the survey that formed the basis for one of my favorite tomes of all times, "Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs".

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. Looking back, my one regret was not putting the two Cole family songs next to each other.

      Delete