As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Thursday, September 23, 2021

Favorite Best-Of Albums: The Very Best Of Booker T. & The MG’s

In terms of hit singles, Booker T. & The MG’s were in a relatively slow period when I first got into music in 1965: after reaching #3 in 1962 with their classic “Green Onions”, they didn’t have another national top 20 hit until 1968’s “Soul-Limbo”. For some reason, however, even their least successful singles managed to get airplay on Harrisburg’s WFEC, and once I heard them I was hooked. Over the next few years, I bought (and still own) five of their LPs, including a Best-Of collection. Of course, when they weren’t recording and releasing their own music, they backed up nearly every Memphis soul singer of the era, including Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, and Otis Redding (most notably his take on the old chestnut “Try A Little Tenderness”).

 

Favorite Tracks:

Melting Pot

Green Onions

Soul-Limbo

Hang ‘Em High

Soul Dressing

 

Slum Baby

Groovin’

My Sweet Potato

Slim Jenkin’s Place

Time Is Tight

 

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of 1965, here is the Billboard Top 10 from this week in that year:
    1 EVE OF DESTRUCTION –•– Barry McGuire (Dunhill)
    2 HANG ON SLOOPY –•– The McCoys (Bang)
    3 YOU WERE ON MY MIND –•– We Five (A&M)
    4 CATCH US IF YOU CAN –•– The Dave Clark Five (Epic)
    5 HELP! –•– The Beatles (Capitol)
    6 THE “IN” CROWD –•– The Ramsey Lewis Trio (Argo)
    7 LIKE A ROLLING STONE –•– Bob Dylan (Columbia)
    8 IT AIN’T ME BABE –•– The Turtles (White Whale)
    9 HEART FULL OF SOUL –•– The Yardbirds (Epic)
    10 LAUGH AT ME –•– Sonny (Atco)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September '65 is when I really started getting into music, so I remember all of these well, although I'm not sure Heart Full Of Soul or Laugh At Me made it all the way into the top 10 at Harrisburg's WFEC.

      For some reason, I seem to hear Eve Of Destruction a lot these days ...

      Delete