As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, November 6, 2021

The Top 10 Albums Of The Last 20 Years

Several weeks ago, MVYRADIO asked its listeners to pick their favorite 10 albums going back to 2000, chosen from those that made the Top 10 in one of their annual listener polls. When the final list was posted, I was a little surprised that I owned 7 of the 10 winners, although I didn’t necessarily vote for all of them.

 

5 comments:

  1. This week in 1965 Top Ten - a very serious list (BTW The Beatles were at #11 with Yesterday (on its way up)
    1 GET OFF OF MY CLOUD –•– The Rolling Stones
    2 A LOVER’S CONCERTO –•– The Toys
    3 1-2-3 –•– Len Barry
    4 YOU’RE THE ONE –•– The Vogues
    5 I HEAR A SYMPHONY –•– The Supremes
    6 RESCUE ME –•– Fontella Bass
    7 EVERYBODY LOVES A CLOWN –•– Gary Lewis and the Playboys (Liberty)
    8 LET’S HANG ON –•– The Four Seasons
    9 A TASTE OF HONEY –•– Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
    10 AIN’T THAT PECULIAR –•– Marvin Gaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting that fall, I regularly listened to the weekly Top 25 countdown on WFEC. The only one that I specifically remember, I tuned in at around #20. By the time that they got close to the top, it was normally pretty easy to figure out what that was, given the previous week's list and what they had already played. This particular week, however, I had absolutely no clue. It turned out to be "Get Off My Cloud", which made its chart debut at #1 -- the only time that happened during my WFEC-listening experience.

      Delete
  2. I listened to WABC 770 AM in those days, and they used to have a Pick Hit of the Week. "Rag Doll" was the PHOTW when it debuted, and was #1 the following week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WFEC had a weekly "Discovery", but it generally wasn't that obvious -- maybe a new artist, or a "maybe a hit" by an established artist. I remember one being "Long Live Our Love" by the Shangri-Las, which peaked nationally at #33 and didn't make the local top 25 either.

      Delete
  3. I do remember that song, so WABC must have had it on its playlist.

    ReplyDelete