As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Jackson Browne

It’s an interesting situation for Jackson Browne compilations on Amazon as I write this; you can get a 15-track CD for $16.99, or a two-disc set for $17.29 with 32 tracks. The first one isn’t bad, but as you might expect, the latter is a much better value. (I happen to own both, since the single CD came out 7 years earlier.) For some reason, “That Girl Could Sing,” a single that reached #22 on the Hot 100 in 1980, appears on neither one.

 

Browne’s put out enough quality stuff over his lengthy career that I certainly could have made this a longer list. I somewhat reluctantly omitted his version of “Take It Easy,” since I think the Eagles did it better.

 

Favorite songs:

Fountain Of Sorrow

The Load-Out / Stay (recorded live at Merriweather Post Pavilion)

Doctor My Eyes

That Girl Could Sing

In The Shape Of A Heart

 

Rock Me On The Water

The Barricades Of Heaven

Running On Empty

Jamaica Say You Will

For A Dancer

 

Somebody's Baby

Sky Blue And Black

The Pretender

The Night Inside Me

Lives In The Balance

 

Bonus holiday track: The Rebel Jesus

 

4 comments:

  1. We had a guy on our floor, a blond guy who I think was killed in a motorcycle accident, but whose name I don't recall. I commented something positive about "Doctor, My Eyes," and this guy said, "I think that song sucks." My opinion of him immediately fell (not that I wished him any harm, mind you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Creeger, I believe. (Haven't bothered to pull out the old yearbooks ...)

      Delete
  2. Yes, that's it. I have some memory of his name being John Milton Creeger.
    Challenges Michael Dustin Rhoads for middle name fame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to concede on that one, as I can't think of a famous person named "Michael Dustin."

      BTW, the same day you posted your original comment, I turned on the oldies station in Cincinnati (WDJO) and they had just started playing Doctor My Eyes. Coincidence -- I think not!

      Delete