As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Thursday, March 3, 2022

Ukraine

Several of the columns in yesterday’s Washington Post had interesting takes on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

 

David Von Drehle: Zelensky and the West have called Putin’s bluff

David Ignatius: Distraught dictator or rational actor?

Sebastian Mallaby: The West deploys a new financial weapon

Molly Roberts: Ukraine is a war of the modern-day Web

 

2 comments:

  1. I recall that in the years just prior to our graduation from LVC, there was much talk about how low rock & roll top 40 music had fallen. In particular, Ed Moore constantly summed up the era by singing "Heartbreak, It's a Lovebeat" by the DeFranco Family at every opportunity.
    However, doing some chores this morning, I put on Sirius 70s on 7 where they were playing Kasey Kasum's Top 40 from this week in 1974.
    The following songs appeared on this list, leading me to believe we may have underestimated pop music of that era:
    Let It Ride - Bachman Turner Overdrive
    Just Don't Want to Be Lonely - Main Ingredient
    Oh My My - Ringo Starr
    Until You Come Back to Me - Aretha Franklin
    Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer
    Mighty Love - Spinners
    Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me - Glady Knight and the Pips
    TSOP - MFSB
    The Way We Were - Barbra Streisand
    Rock On - David Essex
    Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
    Jungle Boogie - Kool and the Gang
    Jet - Paul McCartney and Wings
    Bennie and the Jets - Elton John
    Mockingbird - Carly Simon and James Taylor
    Boogie Down - Eddie Kendricks
    Dark Lady - Cher
    and last, but not least, Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede (which recently won my a community trivia contest - got 45 of 48 correct - but no one else got that one)
    Ooga Chaka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorites of the bunch: Let It Ride, You're The Best Thing, Jet, The Way We Were.
      Never cared too much for Oh My My, or Mockingbird. And anything by Cher is pretty much a button song for me.

      Delete