As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, March 25, 2023

Shuffle #162 (March 25, 2023)

Booker-Loo – Booker T. & The MG’s

Plush – Stone Temple Pilots

Can’t Feel My Face – The Weeknd

Lives In The Balance – Jackson Browne

For Your Love – The Yardbirds

Be Afraid – Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit

Open My Eyes – Todd Rundgren

Yellow Moon – The Neville Brothers

Stray Cat Strut – Stray Cats

Cheatin’ – Gin Blossoms

 

4 comments:

  1. This weekend, the 60s Satellite Survey, in honor of Women's Month, featured a listener poll of the top 50 hits of the 60s sung by women. I found the list curious, as the Supremes landed only one song on the entire list, and the Phil Spector girl groups, although present throughout the list and with one song in the top ten, were mostly found far down the list. Here was the top ten:
    10. You Don't Own Me - Leslie Gore
    9. The End of the World - Skeeter Davis
    8. It's My Party - Leslie Gore
    7. Sign of the Times - Petula Clark
    6. Be My Baby - Ronettes
    5. Dream a Little Dream - Mamas and the Papas
    4. At Last - Etta James
    3. To Sir, With Love - Lulu
    2. Angel of the Morning - Merrilee Rush
    1. Downtown - Petula Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Top 10 is certainly a little curious -- Angel Of The Morning, but no Respect??? I have to admit that Sign Of The Times is my favorite Petula Clark song, and You Don't Own Me is my second-favorite by Gore (after Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows).

      Delete
  2. "Respect" just missed the top ten, and as the countdown winds down each week, I am guessing what's left the entire way. Merrilee Rush left me scratching my head.
    Also, I have a bit of a issue with including the Mamas and the Papas, and the Seekers had a couple of titles included as well. The host explained since the lead singer was female, those groups were included. The host also was totally bewildered by the listeners only including one Supremes hit, and that one finished at something like #47.
    Leslie Gore, despite her Jersey girl roots, was never one of my favorites, though I appreciate her voice more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought the Merrilee Rush inclusion was odd, especially that high. And I prefer Herman's Hermits version of End Of The World to the original.

      Sometime earlier this century, I saw Lesley Gore at BlackRock in Germantown MD. Nice show.

      Delete