As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Tina Turner

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/tina-turner-dead-singer-pop-rock-queen-1235624415/

 

The obit in Variety accurately describes her as “[r]aw-voiced, leggy, peripatetic and provocative onstage”, going on to highlight her acting career as well. Somehow I missed the fact that she did the theme song for the James Bond movie GoldenEye.

 

Favorite songs:

What’s Love Got To Do With It

Proud Mary*

Nutbush City Limits*

Let’s Stay Together

It’s Gonna Work Out Fine*

I Don’t Wanna Fight

Private Dancer

Ooh Poo Pah Doo*

We Don’t Need Another Hero

River Deep, Mountain High*

 

* - Ike & Tina Turner

4 comments:

  1. I do recall hearing River Deep Mountain High on WABC 770 when first was released, but it never stuck with me. When I began hearing it about twenty years later, I knew that I knew that song and thought, "that is a great song." Don't know why it didn't become a hit single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it was not one of my favorites, which is why it's at the bottom of this list. The union of Spector and Tina always seemed to me to be located in Purgatory, if not lower.

      Delete
  2. Just finished listening to the SXM's weekend's top 100 Memorial Day hits from the 60s (listener poll). Here are the top ten songs on the charts during late May:
    10. I Will Follow Him - Little Peggy March
    9. Bad Moon Rising - CCR
    8. Ticket to Ride - Beatles
    7. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
    6. Travelin' Man - Ricky Nelson
    5. Monday Monday - Mamas and Papas
    4. Help Me, Rhonda - Beach Boys
    3. It's My Party - Leslie Gore
    2. Runaway - Del Shannon
    1. Surfin' USA - Beach Boys

    ReplyDelete