As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Henry Fambrough (Spinners)

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2024/02/07/henry-fambrough-the-spinners-obituary/72515092007/

 

Henry Fambrough was the last surviving original member of the popular R&B vocal group, The Spinners. He managed to live long enough to enjoy the group’s induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2023, and he might own the all-time record for continuous participation in a single group, from its start in 1954 until his retirement last April.

 

I love much of their work (see below), although I have to admit that I never liked their duet with Dionne Warwick on “Then Came You” (“Every time I'm near ya, I get that urge to feel ya” indeed!), and didn’t especially care for their later disco-lite medley efforts either.

 

Favorite songs:

Games People Play

How Could I Let You Get Away

I’ll Be Around

One Of A Kind (Love Affair)

It’s A Shame

Living A Little, Laughing A Little

Could It Be I’m Falling In Love

Ghetto Child

Mighty Love - Pt. 1

I’m Coming Home

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That was also not among my favorites.

      Delete
  2. This week, in recognition of Black History Month, the 60s Satellite Survey played the top 50 Black artists of the 60s, playing the biggest hit from each (according to Billboard). Each artist could only be mentioned one time. The top ten:
    10. Chiffons - Sweet Talking Guy
    9. Louie Armstrong - Hello Dolly
    8. Supremes - Love Child
    7. Otis Redding - Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay
    6. Sly and the Family Stone- Everyday People
    5. Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
    4. Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine
    3. 5th Dimension - Aquarius...
    2. Bobby Lewis - Tossin' and Turnin'
    1. The Twist - Chubby Checker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I had to look at this a couple times. Presumably The Twist was the biggest hit from the Top 50 Black artists of the 60s, rather than Chubby Checker being the #1 artist (which he certainly wasn't, and Bobby Lewis clearly was not the #2 artist).

      Delete
  3. You are correct. The list was the top 50 hits by Black artists, not, as I stated, the top Black artists.

    ReplyDelete