As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Monday, August 26, 2024

Indigo Girls / Melissa Etheridge – Wolf Trap, 8/24/2024

This was both an interesting and a satisfying evening, especially since it consisted of one act that I had seen on several previous occasions, paired with another that I was seeing for the first time. Each did a set that was precisely 90 minutes long.

 

The Indigo Girls opened – I suspect they switch off from night to night – with six other musicians accompanying them on stage (including Lucy Wainwright Roche, who contributed a lovely solo performance of “Soft Line” about halfway through). The classic “Shame On You” started things off, followed by “Power Of Two”, which is one of my personal favorites. I was familiar with most of the material, although I had forgotten “I’ll Change” and had never heard “Joy Train”, which is from one of Amy Ray’s solo albums. “Least Complicated” was a crowd favorite mid-set, but things peaked at the end, with the final threesome of “Galileo”, “Kid Fears”, and the obligatory “Closer To Fine”, with Etheridge joining them for the last two.

 

Melissa Etheridge featured only three other musicians (bass, drums, and keyboards/guitar), but they produced plenty of powerful (and loud) tunes, opening with “Must Be Crazy For Me”. Two songs later, Amy and Emily joined them on stage for the simmering “You Can Sleep While I Drive”. One of the highlights for me came when she sat down at the piano for the great slow ballad “Nowhere To Go”. Although both of tonight’s acts like to mix up their setlists from show to show, the final four in Melissa’s recent shows have been almost completely consistent, alternating mid-tempo songs with extended rockers, ending with “Like The Way I Do” from her debut album, which included her spending a little time on the drums.

 

The weather was absolutely perfect. The pre-show traffic was not – very slow from halfway up the I-270 spur well into Virginia. Oddly enough, given that the show was sold out, I got out of the (no longer full) parking lot much quicker than usual about 15 minutes after Melissa Etheridge finished her set. Did some folks come just for the Indigo Girls and leave early?

 

Indigo Girls setlist

Melissa Etheridge setlist

No comments:

Post a Comment