As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Sunday, August 11, 2024

Lyle Lovett and His Large Band w/ Preservation Hall Jazz Band – Wolf Trap, 8/9/2024

Row M, Seat 1 – left section, on the left-center aisle

 

There was a torrential period of rain early Friday morning in Rockville, and another short burst a few hours later. Fortunately, the effects of ex-Hurricane Debby had pretty much vanished by mid-afternoon, so the weather was fine for both the drive to Virginia (which was faster than usual) and the show itself. The lower level of the Filene Center seemed to be mostly full, but there was plenty of open space on the lawn.

 

Lyle and friends were in fine form as usual, with the strongest crowd reaction for classics such as “Church”, “Here I Am”, “She’s No Lady”, and “I Will Rise Up”. A new addition to the repertoire this year was “It’s A Naked Party”, which was written with his two kids. (It was followed, appropriately enough, by “Pants Is Overrated”). He also rolled out a few songs that I don’t remember hearing live before – “Black And Blue”, “Give Back My Heart” (both from Pontiac), and “If I Were The Man You Wanted”. He mentioned that this was his 30th (!) show at Wolf Trap, and threw in a number of stories along the way, including one about he and Robert Earl Keen co-wrote “This Old Porch” (one of my favorites).

 

Since they now seem to have an opening act for all of their shows, I do wish that they would start at 7:30 rather than 8:00, as the 11:00 Wolf Trap curfew always makes things rushed at the end. They didn’t do an actual encore, but finished up with the mandatory “If I Had A Boat”, getting in just under the wire.

Setlist

 

The 7-piece Preservation Hall Jazz Band started the evening off with a scorching 45-minute set that energized the crowd. Highlights included “St. Louis Blues”, “Keep Your Head Up” (the only track of theirs that’s currently in my iTunes library), and the closing medley of “When The Saints Go Marching In” and “You Are My Sunshine”.

Setlist

No comments:

Post a Comment