As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Friday, May 9, 2014

#63 It's Bad You Know -- R.L. Burnside (1998)



Most of the songs on this list seem like they’ve been around forever; I can’t really come close to remembering the first time I heard them. This is one of the exceptions. At some point in the late 1990s, I was driving back from Harrisburg one Sunday afternoon after visiting my father for the weekend. As usual, I was listening to the Harrisburg affiliate of WXPN, and was just passing through Dillsburg on U.S. 15, where reception always started to gradually deteriorate. At this point I heard a song that I had never heard before, which seemed to reach out of the car speakers and grab me. I desperately hoped that the DJ would identify the song before I was out of range. Thankfully, he did an ID right after the song ended, while I could still pick up the signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment