As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

May 5, 2014 – Nationals 4, Dodgers 0 – Nationals Park



Umpires: HP: John Tumpane. 1B: Paul Nauert. 2B: James Hoye. 3B: Mark Wegner.
Weather: 63 degrees, cloudy.
Wind: 5 mph, In from CF.
T: 2:59 (3:17 delay).
Att: 25,447.

The headline seemed appropriate, given the musical nature of this blog and the fact that it was “Motown Monday” at the ballpark. The tunes were great enough that I can forgive that they snuck in some Al Green and Earth, Wind & Fire, neither of whom is actually Motown.

In addition to the music, the other highlight was the Nats reversing their usual practice of falling behind in the first inning. Rendon followed Denard Span’s leadoff double with a home run off Zack Greinke to give the Nats the quick lead. Zimmermann allowed at least one hit in each of his 4 innings, but did keep the Dodgers off the scoreboard.

The first hint that the non-baseball part of the evening might not go so well came at the uncharacteristically disorganized Taqueria – as usual, not much of a line, but it took a while for the orders to come out, at which point associating the food with the person who had ordered it seemed to be a challenge. I was so relieved to finally get my tacos that I got to my seat before noticing that they forgot to include the usual cup of salsa.

I felt the first drop of rain precisely at 7:00, shortly after a brisk and stirring version of the National Anthem by DC Washington. I didn’t expect it to last for long, despite how dark the sky was, but it refused to stop, ranging from light to medium in intensity. I moved back several rows for most of the first inning, back to my regular seat when it briefly let up, and watched the top of the third on one of the monitors in the concourse. Following Teddy’s victory in the middle of the 4th, the grounds crew made a prolonged and valiant effort to get the infield into playable condition, but at 8:26 they finally started putting on the tarp. The loudest cheer of the night then came when the Nats put the Wizards game up on the scoreboard. Not being all that tempted by the possibility of watching even super-large-screen TV while sitting in the rain, I promptly headed for the Metro station – give Metro plenty of credit for reacting quickly to get “baseball shuttle” trains onto the Green Line – figuring that I’d probably be home in time to catch the end of the game. The delay, however, exceeded even my pessimistic expectations, so I was off to bed before they finally resumed play at 11:43. According to published reports, 5 Nats relievers then blanked L.A. for one inning each, and Espinosa hit a 2-run shot in the bottom of the eighth to provide some insurance, before the end finally arrived at 1:21am in front of perhaps a couple hundred hardy survivors. (If there’s any justice, the Nats provided each of them with tickets to a future game, at the very least.)

No comments:

Post a Comment