As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

What time is it? Time for some campaign dysfunction


Early last week, I received some material (including a bumper sticker!) in the mail from the Clinton presidential campaign. Since I knew that she was planning a major rally and speech on Saturday, I decided to wait to see how that went before deciding whether to make a contribution at this point.
 
On Friday morning, I thought I might watch the speech myself, assuming that it would be available live on the Internet, but didn’t know what time it was scheduled for. Figuring this would not be difficult to find out – the campaign would certainly want as many people as possible to watch this, correct? – I went to the official campaign web site. I was surprised that no time was listed, nor was there any such information on the campaign’s Facebook page. There was a reference to the speech being Livestreamed, so I went to the Livestream site and checked their listing of events for Saturday. Not there either.
 
Being nothing if not persistent, I tried again around 8:30 Saturday morning. The web site now had a large “LISTEN LIVE” arrow button, but still no information about the time. I went to Google News and searched for “Clinton campaign rally” – this produced a number of articles about the event, but nothing that gave a starting time. Tried the Livestream calendar again, still with no luck.
 
I finally went back to the campaign web site, and decided to see what would happen if I clicked the LISTEN LIVE button. Well, this brought up a page that promised, if I entered my email address and zip code, to send me a message when the live broadcast was about to begin.
 
I did not have any difficulty whatsover deciding NOT to give them my personal information in exchange for the “privilege” of knowing when their rally was going to start. I decided instead to award them my first (and perhaps only) “Most Clueless Campaign Move of the Week” award.
 
I will be returning the postpaid envelope they sent me earlier, but it will contain a copy of this blog entry rather than a campaign contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment