As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Omar Sosa – AMP, 4/16/2016


Front center table
 
Our “social director”, a long-time fan of the band, put together a group of 30+, so the evening was notable not only for the music but also for the chance to catch up with some current and former Westatians whom I don’t get to see all that often. We got prime seats (the three centermost tables in the front row, plus the center table in the second row), plus some other goodies. The salmon entrée, which I’d had before, was once again very good – fortunately for me, since several other folks at my table also ordered it based on my recommendation.
 
AMP’s tag line for Sosa was “Afro-Cuban alchemist of jazz”, which is a pretty good summary, as he incorporates electronic, world music, and even hip-hop into his musical mix. The band emerged one at a time, led by Sosa, for the opening number, which was closer to free-form jazz than anything else; it sounded like it might totally fly off the tracks at any moment, but somehow managed to hold together. Most of the show was from the band’s most recent CD, ilé, although they also included some more uptempo material, including one great audience sing-along. All four members of the Quarteto AfroCubano – Sosa on keyboards, Ernesto Simpson on drums, electric bassist Childo Tomas and multi-imstrumentalist Leandro Saint-Hill – were wonderful as musicians and as showmen, and both the band and the enthusiastic audience had a great time. Given that the show was a sellout, I certainly hope that they’ll return.

No comments:

Post a Comment