As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Friday, April 22, 2016

Prince


 
Prince Rogers Nelson was truly one of a kind, in terms of style and vision as well as music. While he was never afraid to cross musical genres, for me he will forever be defined for doing more with funk than anyone other than James Brown, whom he cited as one of his main inspirations, along with Marvin Gaye and Jimi Hendrix.
 
I believe the first Prince song I heard was “I Wanna Be Your Lover”, which was his first hit to cross over to the mainstream pop charts, but he made much more of an impression with “Little Red Corvette” (which I initially misheard as “Pay The Rent Collect”) and the classic “1999”. Then of course there was 1984, dominated by Purple Rain and Springsteen’s Born In The U.S.A. (Certainly the commercial edge went to the former, which topped the album sales charts for 24 weeks as opposed to Bruce’s 7.)
 
When I was listening to “Let’s Go Crazy” this morning, I paid a little more attention than usual to the spoken intro, when Prince describes the “After world” as “A world of never ending happiness | You can always see the sun, day or night”. Seems like a good thought for today.
 
Favorite songs:
Thieves In The Temple
1999
Sign ‘O’ The Times
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Alphabet St.
Let’s Go Crazy
Kiss
Purple Rain
Raspberry Beret

No comments:

Post a Comment