As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Friday, April 12, 2019

Average White Band – Rams Head on Stage, 4/11/2019


Table 100, Row A, Seat 3 – front row of tables, at the left side of the stage. Somewhat surprisingly, only 3 of the 6 seats were occupied, although it was a large crowd overall.
 
 
Cranky? Irritable? Just generally out of sorts? Just take 90 minutes of AWB. Repeat as often as necessary.
 
Seriously, this show just reinforces my impression from two years ago that this is one of the best live bands around today. Great solos by the entire crew, stunning soul vocals by Brent Carter, great crowd rapport. The audience seemed more diverse than I remember from last time, and had a high energy level throughout. “A Love Of Your Own” continues to be a show-shopper, although there really wasn’t a weak spot in the entire evening. The couple I sat with mentioned that they come to see them every year; I may have to join them in that.
 
Highlights: setlist 

2 comments:

  1. So I guess they're not really "average."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, they're not entirely "white" either (African-American lead vocalist and drummer). But definitely still a "band".

      Delete