As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Favorite Music of 2021

For me, 2021 belonged to Lake Street Dive, despite the departure of guitarist/trumpeter/songwriter Mike “McDuck” Olson. Not only did they come up with their best album yet, they also put on quite a show at Wolf Trap a few months ago.

 

Songs

 

1.      Same Old News – Lake Street Dive (album cut)

2.      Hypotheticals – Lake Street Dive (#28, WTMD Top 89)

3.      Sanctuary – Hiss Golden Messenger

4.      Leave The Door Open – Bruno Mars/Anderson .Paak/Silk Sonic

5.      justified – Kacey Musgraves (#38)

6.      Skate – Bruno Mars/Anderson .Paak/Silk Sonic

7.      Never Leave You – The Record Company (#48)

8.      Girl From Rio – Anitta

9.      Levitating – Dua Lipa

10.   Quiet Town – The Killers

11.   Call Me A Fool – Valerie June (#8)

12.   We Are Between – Modest Mouse (#33)

13.   Know That I Know – Lake Street Dive (#67)

14.   How High – The Record Company

15.   Kiss Me More – Doja Cat ft. SZA

16.   Easy On Me – Adele (#6)

17.   Take My Breath – The Weeknd

18.   Go Crazy – Chris Brown X Young Thug

19.   662 – Christone “Kingfish” Ingram

20.   Golden – Harry Styles

 

Albums

 

1.      Obviously – Lake Street Dive (an obvious choice) (#2, mvyradio Top 25)

2.      Fatal Mistakes – Del Amitri

3.      star-crossed – Kacey Musgraves

4.      30 – Adele (#6)

5.      Play Loud – The Record Company

6.      Endless Arcade – Teenage Fanclub

 

6 comments:

  1. Top 5 from this week in 1964:
    5. Forget Him - Bobby Rydell
    4. Since I Fell for You - Lenny Welch
    3. Dominique - The Singing Nun
    2. Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
    1. There! I've Said it Again - Bobby Vinton
    My prediction is that things are about to change for the Top 40 future of at least one of the Bobbys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean, we might "Forget Him"???

      Since I Fell For you is great, and Louie Louie an obvious classic. And some of Vinton's stuff is actually pretty good.

      Beatles held #1 for next 14 (!) weeks, but only 4 weeks total the rest of the year. Other '64 chart-toppers included Hello Dolly, Chapel Of Love, Everybody Loves Somebody (Dean Martin), Leader Of The Pack, and Lorne Greene's Ringo (which I actually heard yesterday).

      Delete
  2. You may have actually heard "Ringo," but I have actually asked myself, "What's worse, 'Ringo,' or 'Big Bad John?'"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of Jimmy Dean, have you ever heard [been subjected to] I.O.U.?

      Delete
    2. WDJO in Cincinnati is currently playing Ringo, as part of their "Freaky Friday" noontime request show.

      Delete
  3. No, never.
    Check this out. Although a few of the selections are head scratchers, I smiled through much of this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDWPNgRNdHI

    ReplyDelete