As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Ronnie Spector

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/12/arts/music/ronnie-spector- dead.html

 

You know you’re a big deal when your death leads the CBS radio news headlines, ahead of inflation, empty store shelves, and omicron.

 

Somewhat amazingly, “Be My Baby” (which peaked at #2) was the only time they reached the top 20 of Billboard’s Hot 100 – except for “Sleigh Ride”, which got into the top 10 a few weeks ago as part of the seasonal rush.

 

Favorite songs (with the Ronettes):

Be My Baby

Do I Love You?

Walking In The Rain

Baby, I Love You

Sleigh Ride

 

Bonus track:

Take Me Home Tonight (with Eddie Money)

 

4 comments:

  1. I saw her ten years ago in concert at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank. She performed along with Darlene Love, with a few duos, but mostly doing short sets taking turns. Darlene's voice was strong and she smiled throughout. Ronnie sang while sitting in a chair on stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great show. I never saw either one of them live.

      I've been searching for a new oldies station after the recent demise of WGVU-AM (Real Oldies 1480 & 850 Grand Rapids MI). Best I've found so far for having a pretty large library and good sound overall is WDJO out of Cincinnati. However, best single show, which I'm listening to right now, is "Saturday Night Jukebox". (It's out of 4KQ radio in Brisbane AU, 15 hours ahead of us.) Have heard, among many others, a great version of Hey Little Girl by Dee Clark, Elvis doing C'mon Everybody, and Sorry by the Easybeats (of Friday On My Mind fame).

      Delete
  2. I owned a 45 of Friday On My Mind. Gave them all away when we sold the Warren County house in 2005. I kept three. I don't know why. I still have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have all my 45s. Haven't listened to them in a long time, though.

      Delete