As a fan of a wide variety of popular (and not-so-popular) music from the 1950s (and sometimes even earlier) up through the present, one of my bucket list projects for years has been to put together a list of my 100 favorite songs of all time. At some point I decided that, once I got around to figuring that out, I could put it out on a blog, for the infinitesimally small proportion of the Internet world that might be interested. So, here we are. While the Top 100 will be a major focus, I also plan to post on a variety of other musical (and occasionally non-musical) topics, in which you may or may not be interested. (If a particular posting doesn’t ring your bell, you’re only a few clicks away from a dancing cat video on YouTube.)

Saturday, September 2, 2023

Jimmy Buffett

https://variety.com/2023/music/obituaries-people-news/jimmy-buffett-dead-margaritaville-1235711632/

 

Although I didn’t have any personal connections to Jimmy Buffett, “Margaritaville” was the second song to be played on my self-selected retirement party playlist. I also remember my trip out to Minneapolis quite a few years ago to catch a couple of Minnesota Twins games. I was glancing at the local newspaper while riding the light rail out to the Mall Of America and discovered that the newest branch of his Margaritaville restaurant chain was having a soft opening there that same day. I wandered by around 11:15 and there was no line, so I decided to have my lunch there. (I was tempted by the “cheeseburger in paradise” but opted for jambalaya instead.)

 

Chris Morris had a great summary in his Variety obituary: “Buffett’s boozy, punny, often marijuana-scented variety of tropical good-time music struck an abiding chord with an army of enthusiastic fans, who dubbed themselves “parrotheads” in reference to the colorful avian headgear they sported at the musician’s sold-out concerts.”

 

And on a more serious note (also from the Variety obit):

Analyzing the enduring appeal of Buffett’s music, Christopher Ashley, director of the 2017 jukebox musical “Escape to Margaritaville,” said, “There is a celebratory bacchanalian quality but also a real strain of sadness in those songs. I think his songs have a real philosophical commitment to finding joy now, being as now is the only moment… Don’t postpone joy. Embrace it. Grab it. I think that’s profound and a great message to send in a world as joy-challenged as this one.”

 

I’ve posted my favorite Buffett songs elsewhere, but this classic duet deserves its own shout-out.

5 comments:

  1. The Top 10 this week in 1966 is pretty solid:
    1 CHERISH –•– The Association
    2 YOU CAN’T HURRY LOVE –•– The Supremes
    3 SUNSHINE SUPERMAN –•– Donovan
    4 YELLOW SUBMARINE –•– The Beatles
    5 BUS STOP –•– The Hollies
    6 BEAUTY IS ONLY SKIN DEEP –•– The Temptations
    7 BLACK IS BLACK –•– Los Bravos
    8 96 TEARS –•– ? (Question Mark) and the Mysterians
    9 WOULDN’T IT BE NICE –•– The Beach Boys
    10 REACH OUT I’LL BE THERE –•– The Four Tops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing I don't like there. #9 is my favorite, although I didn't hear it back in the day because WFEC preferred the B-side, God Only Knows.
      And thanks for tolerating the #1 song. ;-)

      Delete
    2. God Only Knows (in my top 5 of Beach Boys songs) was also in the top 40 that particular week. WABC 770 in NY played Wouldn't It Be Nice, but I didn't hear God Only Knows much at all until years later.

      Delete
    3. Nationally, Wouldn't It Be Nice made it up to #8 on the Hot 100. God Only Knows peaked at 39.

      Delete